Children of the 90’s! Remember how “radical” your decade was for all things food related? Getting home to watch Widget the World Watcher with a Milo and afternoon tea, lining up for the school canteen and trying out the newest and coolest snacks you saw on TV? What do you miss eating from way back then?
1. Dunkeroos, Roll ups, Nik Naks and Pizza Pockets; The snacks you were never allowed to have at home and had to go to your totally cooler friend’s house to eat, or “trade” with someone at lunch time!
2. Lollies!! Is it just us, or was buying 10 cent lollies at the school canteen or the local swimming pool, while your feet were singed on the boiling concrete, a huge part of 90’s nostalgia? Nothing like picking up some Redskins, Milkos, Warheads and Fizzers while you tested out your latest not joke and did your assignment in the library…NOT!
3. Here was must pause for a moment to remember some of the 90’s trends which never made it through the decade:
-Doritos 3D you sounded so cool but delivered so little actual chip. Plus you didn’t have any free Tazos inside you. No deal!
-Heinz coloured tomato sauce we are also looking at you. We wanted you and we bought you. But then we realised eating slimy green looking sauce on our sausages was not as fun as we first thought. Sorry about that.
4. For the fancy Aussies who were up to date with the latest international food trends, the 90’s meant showing everyone how delightfully European you were. Ordering for a sandwich? Italian cuisine was the way to go in 90′s: “Can you make that on FOCCACIA” please!” Oh and add some “SUN-DRIED TOMATOES, if you don’t mind. Then turn up this choice Savage Garden song!”
5. Mud puddle paddle pops. Vanilla ice cream and gooey chocolate fudge on the inside, was this what heaven tastes like? Why were you taken away from us so soon!?